вторник, 15 ноября 2016 г.

Привет, друзья! Hi there!
This post is about the Russian adverbs. Actually I have great news for you because the Russian adverb is one of the few parts of speech which are neither declined nor conjugated. You can of course say something like 'slowly – more slowly – most slowly', but otherwise the adverbs do not change.

I suspect you could have already been scared to death by the Russian Grammar monsters such as noun declensions, verb conjugations and so on. But do not panic! There are lots of quite simple patterns in Russian which you could apply in many situations. You know minimum words, maximum content :-) And the patterns with the adverbs I am about to teach you right now are super easy and very useful.

So let's have a look at these extraordinary unchangeable words, most of which end in the suffix -о.

теплó – warm(ly)
ску́чно - boring(ly)
бóльно - painfully
хóлодно – cold, coldly
неску́чно — not boring(ly)
хорошó — good, well
жáрко – hot(ly)
вéсело - happy(ly)
нехорошó — not good, not well
нормáльно – normal(ly)
гру́сто - sad(ly)
плóхо — bad(ly)
интерéсно - interesting(ly)
прия́тно - pleasant(ly)

неинтерéсно – not interesting(ly)
неприя́тно — unpleasant(ly)


Good job! Поехали дальше! Let's go ahead!

Could you, please, open the window because мне жáрко. Can you guess the meaning of this phrase? If not, I will give you a hint. Мне is the dative case of the pronoun 'I' / я and жáрко, as I have already told you, means hot or hotly. Right, it means 'I am hot'! The literal meaning of this phrase is 'to me hotly'.

Here are some more phrases.
Мне жáрко. - I am hot.
Мне хóлодно. - I am cold.
Мне теплó. - I am warm.
Мне нормáльно. - I am ok (meaning more like comfortable) or it is ok for me.
Мне интерéсно. – I am interested.
Мне скýчно. – I am bored.
Мне неинтересно. – I am not interested.
Мне нескучно. – I am not bored.
Мне вéсело. – I am happy.
Мне грýстно. – I am sad.
Мне прия́тно. - I am pleased.
Мне неприя́тно. – I am displeased. I don't really like it.

Also you can say: Мне оби́дно – I am offended. Оби́дно literally means offensively. If you want to say that you are offended, you will literally be saying something like to me offensively. So now you can see that all the phrases have an identical grammar pattern.

Мне бóльно. – I am hurt (both physically and emotionally).

Мне хорошó. – I am good. I feel good. Sometimes I look good. Мне хорошó в э́том плáтье. - I look good in this dress. To say I am well (referring to my health) I would say: Я чýвствую себя́ хорошó. Я хорошó себя́ чýвствую. Мне хорошó is more about emotional state like happiness or comfort.

Мне нехорошó. - I feel not really well (this phrase refers mostly to health).

Мне плóхо. - I don't feel well / I am ill or I feel miserable. When used to describe an emotional state this phrase is much stronger than I am sad. It means I am frustrated or broken-hearted.

So, see how much you have learnt now. Great job! But I guess you still can learn a bit more. At this stage it is good to learn the Dative case of all the personal pronouns.

Я – мне       мы - нам
ты – тебé     вы - вам
он – емý      Вы - Вам
она – ей      они - им
оно – емý

Мне хóлодно means I am cold. So what does тебé хóлодно mean? Of course, it means you are cold.
And there is one more great thing about the Russian Grammar. The difference between a statement and a yes / no question is only in the intonation. Тебе хóлодно. This is a statement. Тебе хóлодно? This is a question.

Ей грýстно? Вам теплó? Им скýчно? Тебе оби́дно? Ему бóльно? These are the questions. In order to listen to how they are pronounced with the right intonation, please, upload the mp3 of my podcast. There you could also listen to the respective statements and feel the difference. Ей грýстно. Вам теплó. Им скýчно. Тебе оби́дно. Ему бóльно.

And what about you? How do you feel at the moment? Вам жáрко или хóлодно? Или Вам теплó?
Мне сейчáс теплó. I am warm now. Мне не хóлодно. I am not cold.

Вам вéсело или грýстно? Мне грýстно. Мне невéсело.
Are you happy or sad now? I am sad. I am not happy. It is autumn now. The sky is gray and gloomy. I don't really like it.

If you want to show sympathy it is good to remember some questions with this pattern.

If you see that your friend is sad, you can come up to him / her and just ask:
Тебе грýстно?
If somebody has, for example, fallen down, you could ask:
Тебе бóльно?
Вам плóхо? - Are you feeling not very well?
Вам жáрко? - Are you hot? Do you feel hot?

Also be prepared to hear an alternative word order. Хóлодно мне. Интерéсно ему. In conversation you will hear this alternative word order really often.

Sometimes the word order makes a phrase more emotional but in these unless provided with respective intonation it barely influences the meaning.

You can make similar simple sentences by adding the words:
Здесь - here, тут - here, там - there, это - it.

Здесь теплó. Там хóлодно. Тут хорошó. Это скýчно.
Instead of just saying 'Мне интерéсно' / I am interested. You can say 'Мне э́то интерéсно' / I am interested in it.

Мне здесь одинóко / I am lonely here. Одинóко is another adverb. It means lonely.
Мне здесь так одинóко. I feel so lovely here.

I think this is all for now as for the new material. Right now, please, practice these structures in different combinations to really feel comfortable with them.

How to say in Russian she is warm, he is pleased or we are happy?
That's right: Ей теплó, ему прия́тно, нам вéсело.

Thank you for reading this post!
Надéюсь, Вам бы́ло нескýчно. Hope you were not bored. Надеюсь, Вам бы́ло интéресно. Hope it was interesting for you. Бы́ло is one of the Past forms of the verb to be.

Learn Russian with pleasure. Учи́те рýсский с удовóльствием!

Please, visit my blog on thewayitgoesinrussian.blogspot.com.

I am looking forward to you comments, your feedback and your questions. They will inspire me for new ideas.

Всего хорóшего. До нóвых встреч!
See you soon! Best wishes to you,
Дарья / Daria




1 комментарий: